Saturday 20 July 2013

Teacher Area Optimum Organization {PROJECT CLASSROOM SERIES}

It's that time of the week! Optimum Organization time! 



I'm sorry to say that, for the second week running, my organization is going to be planning-based with nothing concrete to show for it. We don't break up until Wednesday so at the moment my classroom is completely stripped of any paper, furnishings or trimmings and the kiddies and I are decamping to the field outside for all our lessons whilst another class uses our space. Therefore, I thought I'd use the opportunity to take some time to consider the organization of the central hub of our room - the Teacher Area.


Last year, my old room didn't have any space for a teacher area. I just ended up with a battered old desk tucked against the wall. This year, I decided to take action and commandeer an entire corner of our classroom as MINE! 




The only problem is, that corner of the classroom was pretty spacious and I consequently became pretty complacent about the space. I kept telling myself that it was neat and ordered and tidy and organized and shiny and beautiful and exemplary... You get the picture. That is, until I saw this photograph:




Aaargh!

Feel free to turn away now. I won't be offended if you never return. Who am I to provide organisational  tips with a command centre like this?! It doesn't get any better in my surrounding area either...

So, as I'm moving room again this year (4 years teaching, 4 different classrooms!), I get an opportunity to rethink these areas and have them ready mentally for when I move back into my new room in 3 weeks' time. (The setup there is very similar, with only the position of the shelves being different. I will still have the same amount of storage thank goodness!)

To do this, I'm going to use my 2 stars and a wish system that I use to mark the kiddies' books. (Although I definitely won't limit myself to those numbers!). The stars are what I like and the wish is what I would change. Here goes...

- The amount of storage I have! It's fab having all this space for the things I need and to have everything in one handy place.
- My hanging file organizer. This has revolutionised my paperwork organisation and general day-to-day life.
- My Teacher Toolbox. I heart this. See above :)
- My red and blue trays for homework and notes/lunch money to come in (although I'm definitely not precious about the trays themselves - just the system!)


- Baskets, baskets, baskets!!! For all the shelves, everywhere, lots of them.
- Labels!
- Some sort of the system for my maths resources. We don't have many manipulatives as we use a scheme that requires just a set few but I can't seem to find a good system to get them ready when I want them in lessons. Maybe tubs? Here are some ideas from some other brilliant bloggers:

Shelves and drawers from Fourth Grade Studio



Clear plastic tubs from A Cupcake for the Teacher


Rolling drawers from Mrs Freshwater's Class


What do you think? Probably clear tubs are the way to go for what I have mind.

- Contact paper/paint for the back of the shelves to cover the old walls
- Maybe some curtains to cover up the top/middle shelves. I don't use the things on there so much and  the curtains might cover and smarten things up.

So that's it for my rather measly contribution to an otherwise fab linky. Thanks to Kristen (Ladybug's Teacher Files) and Elizabeth (Fun in Room 4B) for hosting! I'll be off for the next couple of weeks on holiday but will hopefully have more to show after a few days in my new class. In the meanwhile, I'd love some suggestions with your thoughts on what I could do. Please let me know if anything springs to mind! :D

See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment